Monday, March 21, 2011

With No Experience In Such Matters

To hold a damaged sparrow
under water until you feel it die
is to know a small something
about the mind; how, for example,
it blames the cat for the original crime,
how it wants praise for its better side.
4:05 AM And yet it's as human
as pulling the plug on your Dad
whose world has turned
to feces and fog, human as--
Well, let's admit, it's a mild thing
as human things go.
But I felt the one good wing
flutter in my palm--
the smallest protest, if that's what it was,
I ever felt or heard.
Reminded me of how my eyelid has twitched,
the need to account for it.
Hard to believe no one notices.
-Stephen Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief

Numbness is a form of grief For those who wrestle with how they feel. It's an eerie silence of the mind Where large parts of the world g...